Making a gravestone rubbing

October 16, 2012



Every Halloween, my Girl Scout troop would go to the graveyard (right next to our camp! which made for some pretty interesting camping trips) and make gravestone rubbings. It might seem like a weirdly morbid thing to do with a lot of little kids, because of the inevitable conversations that will come up about death and all that. But surprisingly, all of my memories of the activity are happy ones. So much so that as a grown-up, I've kept up the practice. Whenever I visit the grave of a far-flung ancestor or when I'm on vacation and visiting a churchyard, I make sure to pack some paper and crayons in my bag to bring back a truly one-of-a-kind souvenir. It could be because I'm a history and genealogy buff. It could be that I'm overly sentimental. It could be because I'm a little weird. I don't know. I do know that grave rubbing is a great activity for little hands: it doesn't require much finesse, the results are always striking, and it offers a great excuse to acquaint little ones with family lore.

This past weekend I visited the family plot at St. Mary's and made a rubbing of a stone of a relative who died as a child. I've always had a soft spot for her, partly because nobody alive really remembers who she belonged to, and partly because she shares my name. On my last trip to the cemetery, I'd noticed that her grave was getting a little faded and worn, and I wanted to find a way to preserve it before it faded too much. Especially the beautiful Arabic writing at the bottom!

Some tips for making a grave rubbing of your own:
  • Use medium weight paper: too thin will tear, too thick won't leave a good impression. I use an 18x24" sketchpad, with 50 lb. paper density.
  • Bring a roll of painter's tape -- it's the best for securing the paper to the stone (Scotch tape is too flimsy and duct tape can leave a nasty residue). 
  • A lot of people like to use pastels, but I think they're really messy and prefer to use a thick "My first crayon"-style black Crayola (don't go too cheap with the brand of crayon you use -- sometimes they don't cover very well). The thin crayons work well for touch ups after you've brought your rubbing home. 
  • St. Paul's and Calvary Cemetery have some of the most interesting and historical gravestones in the area, but they're pretty old and can be covered in dirt and moss. An old toothbrush helps to loosen the grime so you can get a clearer rubbing.  

Did you know that the Victorians used to have graverubbing parties, complete with picnic lunches and graveyard sleepovers? That's taking it a little far, even for me. 

P.S.: While I was making my rubbing, Baby Anne parked herself on a grave and had a long conversation with the Virgin Mary statuette keeping watch. It went mostly like this: "Eye! Nose! E-I-E-I-O!" I hope the nice old couple whose grave it was appreciated the company because she sure enjoyed being there. 



Have you ever made a gravestone rubbing? Would you display it in your home? I'm thinking of making a gallery wall going up the staircase. Creepy? Chic? Thoughts? 

You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. Do you know the significance of the writing in Arabic? I've never made a gravestone rubbing and can't decide if it creeps me out or not, lol. I think the great thing about yours is the personal connection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My (and Catherine's) family emigrated from Lebanon in the late 1800s, so it was probably an old world holdover. I have often wondered what it says, but nobody in my family knows it well enough to be able to read it.

      A personal connection helps cut the creepiness. So does being a typography dork. If I see a stone with cool engraving...I have to have it.

      Delete
  2. We used to do gravestone rubbings in our homeschool group. We would pick an old, mostly-abandoned cemetery (of which there were an abundance in our region), and first we would do some clean-up and basic maintenance, and then we would make some rubbings. It was actually a great way to teach all of us kids respect for graveyards, and an interest in history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I really like the service aspect. What a great idea! Got any tips for making a good rubbing you can share?

      Delete
  3. Some of those old gravestones are beautiful. It is incredible the amount of workmanship that would go into carving and designing then. Gravestone rubbing looks like something that would be cool to try.
    http://www.sjcemeteries.com/memorial-products/

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

Culture

Instagram

Subscribe