How to make a terrarium

January 17, 2013



I blogged just before the holidays about how James and Anne and I were making a lot of our Christmas presents this year, and got a few inquiries about what we made and how it went. As to the latter question...it was a great experience but a lot of stress, and I think next year I might be a little less ambitious so that I can enjoy the holiday season more (you told me, Dee!)

As to what we made...my dad got a bunch of different pickles, my sister and cousin got handmade necklaces, my mom got a disk with all 4,000 pictures I have taken of Anne since she was born painstakingly cropped and edited (this was by far the biggest time-sink).

But the project that was the most fun to make was the terrariums we made for my aunts. They got a great response, and I liked them so much that last weekend, I decided to make a couple for myself. At not yet two, this wasn't a project Baby A. could really participate in, but I think older kids might really enjoy it. So I thought I'd share.



You will need:

  • glassware
  • gravel or small rocks
  • activated charcoal 
  • potting soil
  • plants
  • spaghnum moss 

A few notes: first, we found that the best place to get inexpensive terrarium glass is the thrift store. We visited a few and found all shapes and sizes, big, small, round, square, lids and no lids. (Though you should consider the type of plants you want to grow when choosing your terrarium -- succulents and cacti won't do well in a terrarium with a lid because of the extra moisture.) 

Second, it's important to note that activated charcoal isn't the same as the charcoal briquettes you use for grilling -- the kind you need for a terrarium is the same kind found in aquarium filters. We pulled apart an old Brita filter and used the stuff in there but garden centers may also sell it. Speaking of garden centers, McDonald Garden Center in Virginia Beach has a wonderfully extensive terrarium section, and Alan, who manages it, is all too happy to discuss the types of plants that work best together, arrangement ideas, plant care, etc. We had a blast talking to him and got a lot of inspiration from his beautiful creations. 

Third, we found that choosing plants of differing heights/colors/textures makes for the best-looking arrangement, but this is obviously a subjective thing and will vary from person to person. 


Step 1: Wash and dry your glassware. This will help prevent bacteria/mold growth. 

Step 2: Add a layer of rocks. (It's probably best to give them a quick wash, too). The rocks will help with drainage -- because there's no drain holes in your terrarium, the rocks will keep the water off of the roots of your plants and keep them from rotting. We used little bags of stones we found in the garden department at Ikea for $1. 

Step 3: Add a thin layer of charcoal on top of the rocks. This is not strictly a necessary step, but it will keep the terrarium fresh and help with odors from any standing water. 

Step 4: Wet the potting soil (it should be damp, able to somewhat hold its shape if you squeeze it in a ball but not dripping) and add it on top of the charcoal. Altogether, the rocks + charcoal + soil should take up at least 1/3 of your terrarium. 

Step 5: Remove your plants gently from their containers. Dig shallow holes with your hands or a spoon, and place the plants in. (If you've chosen a container with a narrow opening, you can use chopsticks or tongs to maneuver the plants into place). At this point, you might want to move them around a bit to find the best arrangement. When you've gotten them just how you like them, gently pat another layer of soil over top of the root ball to hold the plants in place. 

Step 6: Add spaghnum moss and any decorative objects you might find to your terrarium. 

Anouk volunteered this Lego polar bear...I think he looks pleased with his new habitat. 

I had a hard time taking photos for this project...it's difficult to remind yourself to stop and take a picture when you're in the moment and your hands are covered in dirt and charcoal. For more detailed step-by-step and for information on caring for your terrarium, click here

Or you can attend the terrarium workshop at McDonald Garden Center this Saturday, January 19th, at 2 PM. More details here

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. How adorable! I made a terrarium last year. The moss I used (irish moss I was growing in my garden) died, but the plant has done really really well. A few pics here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/threelittlebirds/tags/terrarium/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I put my foot in my mouth about not doing handmade. Not long after I posted that, I had a few family members ask me to knit for them! Hehe.

      Delete

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

Culture

Instagram

Subscribe