Easter at Fort Monroe

April 01, 2013


We celebrated Easter with my extended family by going out to brunch at the historic Chamberlin Hotel -- a whole crowd of us, 22 people in all. Aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents, the works. People you love + good food + chocolate bunnies and jellybeans for all = what's not to get excited about?

The Chamberlin is located on the grounds of Fort Monroe, in Hampton. Because the base was decommissioned in 2011, after we ate, we were able to walk around and explore everything. James, Anne and I set off down the seawall to Overlook Beach and took in the sights: the old fort, which replaced an earlier one built in 1609, the Civil War-era barracks and batteries surrounded by an imposing moat, and the tons of beautiful historic houses. Since the base is being partially reclassified for residential use, some of these old mansions are actually for sale! We spent a long time picking out our favorites -- I eventually chose one with sleek white columns for my dream house. I think I could even handle having to drive over the bridge-tunnel all the time if it meant I could live there.


But the most exciting part of the day by far was getting the chance to see a panoramic view of the base and bay. During brunch, I asked our maitre'd if there was a place I could go outside to take photos, and she kindly offered to take us up to the top of the hotel where we could see everything -- almost the entirety of the giant stone fort, most of Old Point Comfort, and across the bay to Fort Wool and Rip Raps just offshore. So much history in one glance! It was amazing.


Above: A view of Robert E. Lee's quarters, from when he was stationed at Ft. Monroe.
Below: my beautiful cousin on the roof deck of the Chamberlin.  


All in all, it was a very special day and a holiday to remember forever. We're planning to go back to Fort Monroe when the weather is nicer to visit the Casemate Museum and see a little bit more of the grounds. And James really wants to take his kayak over to Fort Wool (I think I'll wait for the boat tour).

Happy Easter to you, if you celebrated! And if not, hope you had a happy weekend.

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. What fun!!!!! I love these pictures too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Easter! Fort Monroe is a fantastic place to visit and explore w/ kids. Did you know Edgar Allen Poe was stationed there? I learned that at the Casemate Museum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea! I can't wait to get back and visit the Casemate. Fort Monroe blew my mind -- it's one of my favorite places I've visited since I started this blog. Happy belated Easter to you, too! Hope you're enjoying this wonderful weather. -C

      Delete

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

Culture

Instagram

Subscribe