Sarah Constant Beach Park

May 10, 2013





Last night after dinner, we went for a walk at the Sarah Constant Beach Park in Willoughby. When I was growing up, the park had kind of a dicey reputation and was really overgrown and scrubby, and I guess that impression stuck, because the thought of writing about it for the blog didn't even cross my mind. I didn't even bring my camera, which is something I almost always do, no matter where we go. Ergo, these photos are all brought to you courtesy of Henry the Doomed iPhone (I promise that would make sense if you knew me and my iPhone habits in real life).

Anyway, the park ended up being much nicer than I remembered it and as we were walking, I decided it was definitely worth the visit. Sarah Constant Park is situated right at the base of the Ocean View Fishing Pier, and offers one of the best vistas in the area. On a clear day -- like last night -- you can see over to Hampton's Old Point Comfort and over to the Bay Bridge at the same time. At sunset, the sun passes right over Willoughby Spit, and everything is pink and purple and gorgeous.

I wish I had thought to take pictures of the park's other great features: the cool grove of wind-stunted pine-trees and twisted live oaks that houses the picnic shelter, and the Susan Constant Shrine, which marks the landing of the ship that would eventually take the first English settlers up the river to Jamestown. (Why the shrine is called Susan and the beach Sarah is a mystery left to the ages, I guess).

My piece of advice (besides to take more pictures) would be to wear shoes when you visit! The beach at Willoughby collects a lot of debris and the remains of the old wood jetties stick up out of the sand in places. Which of course you don't know until you bang your foot against one. Ow.

Happy Mothers Day to you mamas reading this! Hope you have a wonderful weekend with lots of recognition for all you do.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

Culture

Instagram

Subscribe