12 in 12 (June 2013)

June 19, 2013

As a stay-at-home mom, I'm often asked exactly what it is that I do all day. I have a hard time answering this question a lot of the time -- there's not really a pithy way to say that you ran around like a chicken with its head cut off and then sat and sorted miniature socks for two hours. Also, as I come up on the one-year anniversary of this blog, I find that I miss keeping a personal journal sometimes. I don't really have time for both and the latter really falls by the wayside. I miss the simple act of documenting, and reflecting.

So when Darcy of No Monsters in My Bed and Rebecca of Not-So-SAHM began a 12 photos in 12 hours challenge, I knew right away that I wanted to join them. (We're trying to make this a regular monthly feature, so if you want in, please let me know so we can all link up). Here's how an average Tuesday looks in my house -- so far, I think the main thing I've found to reflect on is that I take a LOT of pictures of my kid. Luckily, she knows how to work it.

8:15 AM: Breakfast. A. has asked for plums. So that's what we have (with a couple of scrambled eggs apiece). Turns out it's sort of hard to take pictures of plums. Who knew?

9:30 AM: Anouk has picked her own outfit today, which means a skirt from the ironing basket and fancy shoes.




10:00 AM: Coffee break with daddy, before he heads back to work (AKA his home office upstairs). Having a work-at-home dad is the bestest.



11:15 AM: We head to Kid Zone at the Pretlow library to meet up with some friends. The library has a new puppet theatre and a ton of puppets to go with it. Through careful Game of Thrones-style finagling, the parents manage to prevent the kids from going to war over it.



12 PM: A quick stop by the thrift store on the way home (it's the day they bring the new furniture out). We're sorely tempted by this $90 antique cash register but where would we put it? And what would Daddy say if we brought it home?

Not tempted by: the army of creepy ceramic kewpie dolls with BLANK EYES. Who what when where WHY IN HEAVEN'S NAME?





1:30 PM: Working in the garden after lunch -- we have a bunch of cherry tomatoes that need picking. Also a bumper crop of weeds.



3 PM: Anouk is down for a nap; I snatch an hour to work on a sewing project. 



4:15 PM
: Getting dinner on the stove - chicken curry with peas and this Romanesco cauliflower, which we got in our weekly CSA box. Yum, fractals are delicious.



5:30 PM: It starts to rain just as I'm leaving for yoga.



8:30 PM
: Dinner has been eaten, Anouk's been put to bed, and at least some of the dishes have been washed. Time to relax with a book or two. And a cup of fully-caffeinated tea that I will regret in an hour or so. But in the meantime -- ahhhh.





How was your day?

You Might Also Like

9 comments

  1. Love it. Isn't it amazing how time flies at home with kids?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some days...sometimes with a 2 year old it crawls. Hopefully your angel child will never give you cause to find out. :)

      Delete
  2. I love it! You are so talented!

    You get the most interesting (unidentifiable) stuff in your CSA. People give our farmer guff when she puts chard or mustard greens in the basket. WEIRD!

    I can't wait until I have it together enough to do all those things in the same day. (I'm at trudge through dinner, dishes, stare at facebook level.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We love New Earth Farm because they give us wacky stuff. So far this year we've experimented with chervil, mizuna, and garlic scapes.

      It got a lot easier to haul Anouk around once she hit a year old and she wasn't eating/sleeping so much. Now with the tantrums it's getting hard again...

      Delete
  3. David and Sophia are very jealous of the fun things Anouk gets to to - they are lucky to get a trip to the park!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It helps that the library and park are right near our grocery store! Anouk sees both and demands to stop.

      Delete
  4. Love it! I don't know whether I want to eat or art with that cauliflower, but either way, I want it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was suspicious too but it ended up being really good! Sort of a cross between cauliflower and broccoli.

      Delete
  5. I loved being part of your day. Such excitement when there is a sweet little girl around!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

Culture

Instagram

Subscribe