Trail Center and Bald Cypress Trail at First Landing State Park

October 07, 2013



Fall is one of my favorite times to get outdoors, so it's been a bummer that so many of the HRVA area national parks and sites are closed due to the government shutdown. Luckily, First Landing is a state park and is still open! And it's at its absolute prettiest right now.

Our playgroup met up there last week for the express purpose of visiting the new Discovery Room at the Trail Center. Unfortunately, the room was off-limits while staff cleaned and fed the animals, but luckily again, the trail center features some other great stuff to hold the little ones' attention, including a cool little exhibit on local flora and fauna, complete with a "please touch" area where we could stroke fur pelts and listen to seashells.



After we'd done a few turns around the exhibit, we went back outside to set off down the Bald Cypress trail, a mile-and-a-half-long boardwalk trail through a marshy wooded area. We didn't make it through the whole loop -- the kids stopped several times, to peer at a frog, climb a hill, and eat some trail mix. And pose for lots of pictures.

First Landing is beautiful in every season, but it really shines in late summer/fall, so much so that I'm adding it to our Fall Fun List as a must-see autumnal destination. What are your favorite spots/trails in the park? Have you made it to the Discovery Room? I'm determined to check it out, so I know we'll be back soon.



You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. We haven't made it to the discovery room yet. I love the entire park. One of my kiddos is even an FSP Junior Ranger. I haven't been to the Atlantic Avenue (south) side yet though and I'd love to see the lake there. I find the state parks so cool that I even guest posted about on the VSP blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE that your kid is a Junior Ranger! What a great program. That's really cool about the VSP blog -- I didn't know it even existed.

      Delete
  2. What great pictures.

    I'm with you. This is my favorite time to get outdoors too.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

Culture

Instagram

Subscribe