Thrifted Thursday: What to do with a printers tray?

May 28, 2014


This vintage printers tray was another Thrift Store USA find -- Anouk and I unearthed it in the "antiques" section of the store, wedged between a giant Chinese fan and an equally giant baby pram. Though the stuff in the antiques room tends to be pricier, I asked for a deal on this piece, simply because I had NO IDEA what I would do with it if I brought it home. (Un?)fortunately, the owner gave it to me for $10 and with ones of the same size going for four or five times that amount, I felt like it was too good a deal to pass up.

So I brought it home...and I still have no idea what to do with it. I love looking at this tray, with its well-used patina. I love the handwriting of the printer who used it (he wrote his name on one of the cross pieces) and I love how he also marked some of the more easily confused type trays (mind your ps and qs, right?) For now it's leaning up against a wall in our living room and I'm still ruminating on where it will end up in the house and what purpose it will serve. For a week or two, it held jewelry on my dresser top, but it was really too big for the spot and made my baubles a little too accessible for tiny hands, if you know what I mean. :)


So I thought I'd crowdsource for inspiration. What would you do with a printers tray, if you had one? Seashell display? Craft storage? Art piece? Picture frame? Something entirely different? Help me justify this purchase, internet. It's really too pretty to lean against the wall forever.

If you haven't yet, be sure to check out Tuesday's giveaway for a free annual pass to the Virginia Air and Space Center, courtesy of the City of Hampton! Details here

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. I've always wanted one but I'm not sure what I would do with it either. Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

Culture

Instagram

Subscribe