Norfolk International Airport Overlook

November 15, 2012



This past Sunday, we took advantage of the amazing weather and met up with some friends at one of my favorite spots in all of the Norfolk Botanical Garden: the Airport Overlook. Though I don't like flying on planes, I do like sitting at the top of the overlook hill and peering down into Norfolk International Airport and watching the planes come in and take off.

Anouk and Baby J. loved it, too. Baby J. sat himself right down and waved at every plane as though it was his job. Anouk was busy running up and down the hill (tiring herself out before bedtime, yay!) but she did pause every time a plane taxied down the runway, long enough to wave her arm over her head and yell, "Bye!" before going up/down the hill again. Not to mention that it was also a very dad-friendly activity: James and our friend M. took off for the hill ASAP (which left E. and I free for a little gift shop browsing).




The airport overlook is one of those places I remember so well from my childhood -- I grew up across the street from the Gardens, and remember the days when the hill was just a hill leading down to a fence. Now it's beautifully landscaped, with a convenient stone pavilion (and a wheelchair/stroller ramp leading up to it, hooray!). The best new feature, in my estimation: speakers that let you hear the air traffic controllers talking to each other and the pilots. Too cool!

I'm glad we got the chance to revisit this old haunt, and to spend a nice day there before the weather gets too cold. It's destined to be a new addition to the picnic spot roster come spring.






On an entirely unrelated note, in case you don't already follow Where the Watermelons Grow on Facebook or Twitter, please check out my Hampton Roads Holiday Events list, posted at the top of this page under the header image. I'm kind of a winter holiday freak, and all throughout the summer and fall I've been compiling this huge list of stuff to do this season, and people kept asking me to share it, so there it is. It's definitely not comprehensive; if you know of an event that I've missed that should be there, please let me know and I'll add it.

Happy weekend! What are your plans?

You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. B would love a place like that! We actually picnicked at an airport where he does a lot of work on our road trip to CO this fall. Ladybug loves watching the planes that fly over our house all the time, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anouk and I do that, too -- we have a bunch of Navy planes come in very low a few streets behind our house and we wave at every one! I love the fascination with vehicles that kids have -- right now we are a very train-centric household.

      Delete
  2. This is great! Not being an HR native, I'm really enjoying reading about things that aren't necessarily on an event calendar. KWIM? Weekend plans include some time roasting marshmallows with my In-laws in Windsor and probably the VB parade today. Norfolk's is *way* better, but Virginia Beach's is a lot less crowded. Have a fun weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That's why I started the blog, honestly...there are SO many fun things to do in the HR area and I feel like people sometimes don't know that because it's not a "traditional" big city like DC or NY. I think it's one of the most kid-friendly places I've ever visited/been to. So it makes me smile to read this comment. :)

      We wanted so badly to go to the Norfolk parade today but everyone in the house is working on a nasty cold. I think we're staying in. The marshmallows sound like a good idea though -- we might steal it. Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

      Delete

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

Culture

Instagram

Subscribe