The Virginia Living Museum

March 18, 2013


The Virginia Living Museum was one of my favorite places to go growing up, the absolute best field trip destination. While I always loved the zoo and the aquarium, there was something special about the VLM. The animals weren't exotic but native to my home state, ones I could, theoretically encounter in my backyard. And yet at the museum, I had a chance to see them up close in their own habitats, not bounding away or freezing in fear but doing the kind of things they do in their daily animal lives.

I was excited to share it with Anne. This is a kid who loves all things outdoors and animals of all stripes. She's a Virginia girl, too boot. So J and I hit the museum on a cloudy day last week with high hopes of initiating her into the tribe.

But we ran into trouble early on. Surprise tantrum -- hit the deck! I think it was prompted by the fact that we wouldn't let her take her coat off. Oh, almost two...you are a delight.


Still, despite a few squalls, we ended up having a great time exploring the VLM (which was nice, because after paying over $30 to get in, we weren't looking forward to 1-2-3 Magicking our way out before we'd seen everything). The interior exhibits, featuring plants and wildlife from different geographical regions of Virginia, were punctuated by interactive discovery centers where kids can piece together fossils, climb through tree trunks, and examine brightly-painted butterfly wings. We especially loved the Coastal Plain aquariums and the World of Darkness gallery, and seeing all of the animals that have so creatively adapted to life without light.

But the real highlight of the trip was a stroll over the elevated boardwalk that spans Deer Park Lake to see the big stars of the museum: coyotes, foxes, eagles, deer...  My favorites were the crafty (and slightly neurotic?) raccoons, James liked the wolves, and the playful otters made A. laugh out loud. Not an easy task on this particular day, but those otters are seriously charming. Even the most crotchety of toddlers cannot resist.

Have you been to the VLM lately? What was your favorite exhibit?

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. What a cool place. I love your shots of the aquarium.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the picture of Anne with the fish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't been lately, but it is my favorite. (I think I say that about every museum) My kids love it so much that one year, my daughter asked to spend her birthday there, and we did. They also have a really cool homeschool day (most museums here do). Aren't toddler tantrums the best? (not really)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are the best (yeah, not really). Our tactic with tantrums is to ignore them until they start bothering other people. It really wasn't difficult at the VLM. I felt like a little kid, honestly. "Look at this! Look at that!" I spent so long standing by the glowing jellyfish that I think people started to think I was an exhibit.

      Delete

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

Culture

Instagram

Subscribe