Our New House

September 26, 2013



Just over a week ago, we closed on our new house -- a four-bedroom, two-bathroom (!) 1940s Cape Cod just a few streets away from the house we've been renting for the past year. Despite a few dubious design choices left over from the early 1970s (psychedelic wallpaper and linoleum, wood paneling everywhere), our new house is pretty much perfect in our eyes, full of light and charm and tons of possibilities.

Anouk's favorite things about it are the vintage light fixtures in the bedrooms and the seats under the dormer windows upstairs; James loves the yard and the fact that it's within walking distance to the beach; I still can't believe the sheer number of cabinets and drawers in the kitchen (well over thirty) and the neighborhood, which is shady and friendly and full of young families.





I think what's most exciting though is that this new house means that we're here in Norfolk to stay. We can start settling in and really putting down roots. It's exciting, seeing our city through this new perspective. I never really paid attention to the elementary school down the street before; now whenever I pass it I can't help but picture a little six- or seven-year-old Anouk there, knowing that it will be her school one day.

We're going to be super busy over the next few weeks as we settle in and start some pretty extensive renovations so please forgive me if things are a little slow over here on the blog. I promise I'll make it up with some juicy DIY posts later for those of you who are into that.

Two whole bathrooms! I still can't believe it. Happy weekend, everyone!



You Might Also Like

8 comments

  1. Oh it's awesome. I love it. You were right about those funky 70s leftovers. But it's lovely. I need to share pics of my new house too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do! I would love to see your new place.

      Delete
  2. Congrats! And, um, I love that missoni'ish wallpaper -- keep it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually am kind of fond of it too. Unfortunately, it's completely ragged and water damaged along the top. I definitely am planning to keep a piece and incorporate it into a project somehow!

      Delete
  3. Congrats on the new home! I like it when interesting people come to this area and actually decide to stay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know I'm late to this party, but - woo-hoo! SO excited for you.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

Culture

Instagram

Subscribe