Thrifted Thursday

September 19, 2013

I do a lot of thrifting but so far haven't blogged too much about it. It feels weird not to talk about it -- it's like having a secret identity. V. lonely :( And because part of the fun of thrifting is sharing the treasures that you find with others, I thought I would start up a regular feature to do just that. Here are my latest, favoritest thrift store finds, in no particular order of awesomeness.



The day I realized that most thrift stores sell fabric was one of the happiest days of my life. It really cuts down on cost of sewing clothes, which means I can try more ambitious designs than I would with pricier stuff. The red and white fabric is a gorgeous heavy knit that's going to become a comfy dress for A. some time in the next few months. I think the dark blue flowered fabric might become this blouse for me.



I found this bowl at my fave thrift store of all time, the Goodwill in my old neighborhood in south Arlington, VA, when we were in town for a wedding back in July. It was in the window, tucked almost out of sight, but its gold rim glinting in the sun caught my eye as I was checking out. There's just something about it --  the shiny gold, the matte olive green. I'm not sure if I really like it, but I love it. (Does that make sense to anybody but me?)



These books are from the early 1950s, and feature all sorts of Christmas poems and comics and hilariously heartfelt essays comparing Communist Russia to the inns that turned the Holy Family away. There's an order form in the back to subscribe to the whole series; I am almost tempted to fill it out and send it in because 10c an issue is a great bargain. These two cost me a dollar apiece.



I recognized these toys from my own childhood -- they lived at my grandparents' house and I was fascinated by them for far longer than I should have been. Now that A. has a set of her own, she loves them, too. The premise is that you can combine all of the pieces to make a giraffe, elephant and dog (not pictured). Or you can combine them in new, odd ways to make creatures we affectionately refer to as the girephant and dograffe.





A good basket is hard to find. This one holds our cuddle-up blankets (and sometimes a cat or two).

What was your most recent thrift-store score?

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. That basket is a total score.

    OMG I remember those toys from my childhood too!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thrift often, too. Any favorite haunts you want to share? If not, totally understand! My favorite most recent finds have been some Anthropologie-esque side plates. So cute and about a quarter each.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I'll share! Thrift Store USA and Thrift Store City on Little Creek are my faves. There's a Thrift Store City in Portsmouth, too. Also the DAV on Va Beach Blvd.

      Delete
    2. Cool, I've been to all of them. My best score was at that DAV: a table and set of 6 chairs for $50!

      Delete

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

Culture

Instagram

Subscribe