Handmade Holiday: Making Custom State Prints

November 07, 2013




Last year, I made a vow that I was going to handmake each and every one of the presents I gave to my family and friends that holiday season. I imagined myself lovingly painting mason jars and embroidering initials on napkins by the fire all through December. In reality, I spent the weeks before Christmas in a frenzy, leading to a total meltdown on Christmas Eve while I sat up at midnight arranging photos in albums that I would give to my mother in just a few short hours. When it was all over, James turned to me and said, "I don't care if it costs ten thousand dollars, we are never, ever doing handmade presents again."

He didn't have to say it twice. I agree: I will never again attempt to make each and every one of my Christmas gifts for others. However, I think a few handmade presents here and there -- made WELL in advance of the holidays -- would be OK. I'm already hard at work on this year's crop, and over the next few weeks I'll be sharing a few of the gifts that have been big hits in the past and some that I am in the process of making. So that you can get a head start, too. :)

The first are these custom state prints. I was inspired to make these after stumbling across the (free!) Stateface font, in which each letter corresponds to the shape of one U.S. state. I downloaded it, immediately fell in love with it, and started using it everywhere. I made nursery prints for my friends with new babies, wedding prints for my friends who had been married that year, and custom notepads and address labels for anybody who came to mind.


Here's a quick primer on how to make these prints in Photoshop: open a text box and type the key corresponding to the state you want. Adjust your chosen state to the size and color that you want just like you would with any other font, highlight it, and then under the Type menu at the top, click on "Convert to Shape." This turns the state font character into an outlined shape that you can fill with whatever you want (other text or even a fun pattern.) For the nursery and wedding prints, I decided to place a heart to mark the location of birth or marriage and then insert the geographical coordinates underneath just because I liked the way the string of numbers looked next to the swirly font of the names.


Then you either print out your work at home on high-quality paper or at a professional printer (they can make so many things -- custom stamps, tote bags, personalized stationery, to name some of my faves.) Pop it into a frame with a nice mat, and you have a holiday gift that looks like a million bucks (but didn't cost it).

Each of these designs took me only a short time to make once I had the hang of things but because it was personalized for someone special to me, it felt like I was working on something special. You don't need any expert graphic design expertise to make these prints, just the right font and a little creativity (and Photoshop, though you could probably do this in other image editing programs). The possibilities are endless.

Will you download the Stateface font? What would you use it for? Are you planning on making any of your gifts this year?

You Might Also Like

9 comments

  1. I love this idea. It's brilliant!

    Your poor hubs! I want to make Christmas gifts but I never get on the ball early enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW I totalllly love your "Share on Facebook | Tweet this post | Pin images to Pinterest" buttons at the bottom of your post. I gotta figure out how to do something like that. And I'm so downloading the font. No clue how I will use it yet but just in case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This new template is by Nudge Media and is called Better Days Ahead. Still implementing some updates but already I love it.

      Let me know what you do decide to do with the font!

      Delete
  3. What a great idea! I'm definitely going to download these and make a gift for a friend who married and moved recently. She'll love it! BTW, I sent a message to your WTWGrow facebook page regarding thrifting in Arlington. Did you get it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just wrote you back! Hope you enjoy the font. :)

      Delete
  4. What a cute idea. I have a new great-grand due in Jan. Do you mind if I copy your idea?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not at all! I think little baby would love to have a print made by his great-grandma. If you need any help, please drop me a line.

      Delete
  5. What type of paper do you use to print these, I know you said high-quality but do you mean like card stock or photo paper?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used card stock! I got it in a pack from Target, in the office section.

      Delete

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

Culture

Instagram

Subscribe