Taro and the Tofu by Masako Matsuno

November 13, 2013

























I picked this adorable Japanese mid-century children's book at the thrift store recently during a Christmas-book buying binge. As soon as I saw the delicate water-colored cover, I knew I'd be taking it home. Yes, I totally judged the book by the cover without even a thought to what was inside.

Luckily, as Anne and I soon found out, the story is just as charming as Kazue Mizumura's illustrations. A basic overview of the plot: After a tofu vendor gives him too much change, young Taro has to decide whether to return the extra money or not. Of course he decides the right thing (spoiler alert), and everything ends happily.



This book was written in 1962, and it's fun to see little glimpses of what the Mad-Men era was like in Japan. I love this scene of the father reading his paper in his kimono with the little ashtray in front of him. And the old radio on the chest of drawers, and the Eames-ish-ness of the table...



Reviews I've found of Taro online seem to exclusively support it as a childhood favorite with a sentimental value that lasted into adulthood. More than a few reviewers even mention passing Taro down to their children and grandchildren. A potential family heirloom for 25 cents? Not bad. Not bad at all. Taro is out of print, but used copies can be found all over the internet.

What have you added to your book collection lately?

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. What a beautiful book. No recent acquisitions, trying to abstain from book buying. I know. It's hard. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

Culture

Instagram

Subscribe