We ♥ Zeke's Beans N Bowls

February 18, 2014




When my friend Molly first told me about Zeke's Beans and Bowls, out by the Oceanfront in Virginia Beach, I wasn't quite convinced. A coffee shop -- that also serves Hawaiian food? How do those two things even remotely go together? But after our visit last month, I was more than willing to admit I was wrong. It works. It just does.

We arrived on a snowy afternoon with three kids (one of them our very own Zeke) and a hankering for lunch, and ordered up smoothies and PB&Js and poke bowls, mounds of raw tuna served over rice and smothered in green onions and wasabi peas. You can see the photo, above -- it looked so pretty in person that when I saw the waiter coming toward our table with it, I actually said out loud, "Oooh, I hope that's mine!" Each bite was a burst of flavor and the latte that I ordered with it was strong enough to make me forget about a morning of toddler antics and fortify me for the afternoon ahead.

I haven't come across anything quite like it anywhere else in the area, which is saying a lot (if you follow our 12 in 12 project, you can see that we also ♥ eating out). But the food, despite how good it is, was only one of the great things about Zeke's. The other was the atmosphere -- laid back and quirky. The kids really enjoyed exploring Zeke's vintage decor -- looking at the painted signs, poking through the stacks of vintage record albums and playing with the "analog computer" (aka old-school typewriter).

Thank you everybody at Zeke's! And thank you, too, guy at the neighboring table, who didn't side eye us once despite our very enthusiastic (and vocal) kid contingent.

You Might Also Like

1 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

Culture

Instagram

Subscribe