Champ (a St. Patrick's Day recipe)

March 17, 2014

I was going to post today about the St. Patrick's Day parade on Saturday and our after-parade party at our house. Our first year living on the parade route, a big deal! Sadly, James and I came down with the flu Friday night and spent the weekend in bed while A. went to the parade (and then home) with my folks. So we have no parade photos (though it sounded fun, judging from the ruckus on our street).

Instead, I thought I would share one of my favorite sick-day recipes, which also happens to be a traditional Irish recipe, a happy coincidence. I whipped up a batch of champ yesterday, as soon as my appetite came back. It's one of those comfort foods that can't help but appeal to you, no matter what else is going on. Simple and hearty and good.

Ingredients:

4 lbs potatoes, peeled
3/4 cup milk (we used soy)
1 bunch spring onions
5 tbsp butter
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

Boil potatoes in salted water until fork tender. Mash thoroughly (I like to use my Kitchenaid for this, with the paddle attachment). Slice the spring onions thinly and simmer in saucepan over low heat with the milk (do not let the milk boil). Add hot milk and scallions and salt and pepper to mashed potatoes. Top with more butter, and serve.

We're feeling much better but still taking it easy today. I'm going to curl up with Anouk and watch Darby O'Gill and the Little People (young Sean Connery! Singing!) Happy St. Pat's, all.

 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

Culture

Instagram

Subscribe