Happy Friday Links (and where else to find me)

March 21, 2014





Anouk is turning three this weekend and we're celebrating with her first official birthday party with a few of her nearest and dearest friends in addition to family. I wrote last year when she turned two about how her preemie experience affected me and how I always donate to March of Dimes on her birthday. If you can, I hope you will consider making a donation, too. Below are a few other links that captured my imagination this week.

  • I can't wait to watch the TED talk given by Ziauddin Yousafzai, Malala's father, in which he speaks about raising a woman to be strong and independent in a culture that values the opposite of that.
  • This story of a scrap dealer who discovered an imperial Faberge egg owned by the Romanov's is every thrifter's dream. Wouldn't you love to find a hunk of "junk" that turns out to be a priceless piece of history?
  • It's never too early to be dreaming of a Nags Head vacation and I love these tips for making it affordable.
  • My friend just started a wonderful new blog about raising her girls in a DC rowhouse, just like the one she herself grew up in. Even if you don't live in the area, it's worth a read (her garlic baked ham recipe is one I must try).
  • I've discovered some great bands from this recap of the SXSW music festival. La Femme, a French band, is currently getting a lot of play on my Spotify channel. This song sounds so good with all the windows down.


This week I'm also writing about STEM activities for kids of all ages at local public libraries and also a National Agricultural Day celebration at the Virginia Beach Farmer's Market (their first event of the year!) over at Fun and Free Hampton Roads. Don't forget to check it out.

Have a great weekend!

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. Did you read the New York Times article written by the guy who "discovered" Malala and her father? I blogged about it awhile ago, here are some key quotes (I do find it a little odd that his wife isn't allowed to leave the house or talk to men but his daughter has become the face of independence, especially since her independence is bringing him A LOT of money and fame).
    _______

    In the New York Times, Adam B. Ellick tells an ethically complex story of how Malala Yousafzai, the 16 year old Pakistani schoolgirl who the Taliban shot in the face (and runner up for the Nobel Peace Prize), became famous.

    "While my original documentary tells the story of Malala’s struggle for education in the face of the Taliban, this back story also raises some sobering and difficult questions. Malala was a brave young girl, advocating for a better future for all girls in her country, but was it fair for her to fight so publicly in such a dangerous environment? Or was she thrust into the limelight by adults captivated by the power of a child staring down the Taliban?

    . . . .

    Malala’s father may be a progressive educator, but her family is very traditional. As in most families in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Province, where they lived, her father works and her mother is a homemaker. In the larger region around Swat, only one girl in five attends school. Malala’s own mother is illiterate, and Ziauddin told me she did not interact with men outside the family. I was never able to speak with her, and rarely saw her at all, because, as her husband explained, “she was not habituated to be on camera.”

    . . . .

    After my documentaries aired, the family’s life changed dramatically. Donations poured in. Awards arrived. Dignitaries visited. The American Embassy sent Zia on a free trip to the United States. In the bombastic Pakistani press, Malala became the de facto voice of Swat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow. 3! I love it. I hope you share pics. Happy Birthday A!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday! Although we've only "met," on the web, it seems like we were very close to meeting three years ago ... You were going home with your preemie just before I checked into the NICU with ours in April. Small world, and I'm glad we have such a great hospital in it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday, A! One of my kiddos turns 9 Monday, so we're throwing a little party tomorrow. I think the Little Steamers programs look so cool, but we haven't been able to fit them into our schedule. The farmer's market has had similar events in the past and milking the glass cow and "riding" the "tractors" always seem to be big hits with little kids.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

Culture

Instagram

Subscribe