Friday Five: New Year's Resolutions

January 03, 2014


Of course we've made the standard New Year's resolutions for our personal lives: eat less, exercise more, spend more time doing worthwhile things, less time cruising internet time sinks. :) But there are a few resolutions our family has made for getting out and about and exploring in our area in the months to come. Here are some things we're hoping to do and see around #HRVA in 2014.

1. Visit a beach we've never been to before: It seems strange that there might be a beach I haven't visited in the area, since I grew up here, but hey, we have a lot of beaches. I can pretty safely say that I don't think I've ever been to a peninsula beach, and there are a few river beaches to check out, too. (We're taking suggestions, so leave them in the comments!)

2. Paint a mermaid: Over the Christmas holidays, we visited the new Mermaid Factory in Ghent to buy presents for friends and family. It looked so fun that now we want to go back and paint a mermaid for ourselves.

3. Visit a battlefield: During our recent visit to Yorktown, our interest was piqued. Virginia is the setting to some of the most critical historical moments in our nation's history and we want to see where it happened.

4. Visit a new state park: False Cape? York River? Belle Isle? Which will it be? There are so many to choose from, only a short driving distance away.

5. Fly a kite: Anouk got a pretty sweet kite from Santa this year and we can't wait to find a time and place to try it out. Whether it be at Mount Trashmore, on the beach, or way down on Jockey's Ridge, we're going to find the time to fly a kite in 2014.

And there's one more blog resolution I've made for this year that's personal to me: to reach more readers. So many of you have joined us on our journey in 2013 and it's been immensely gratifying to hear your suggestions and feedback on how to make our blog even better. So I'm turning to you again and asking you to please TELL YOUR FRIENDS about Where the Watermelons Grow so we can grow the community even more. And if you're not already, you can always add us to your blog reader, like us on Facebook, or follow us on Twitter, Instagram, or Pinterest.

What are your plans for 2014?

Happy weekend! We'll be back next week with one more best of 2013 list, and then it's back to regular programming, I promise.

You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. Do river beaches count? If so: Jamestown Beach - let's go together! So safe for little ones. You can dig for clams with your toes, water is always warmer than the other beaches, lots of shade from surrounding trees, cook out area, etc :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh. This is making me wish it was summer so bad! Yes, please please!

      Delete
  2. Pick Belle Isle! We'd love to join you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Done! Let's make plans when it's a little warmer. :)

      Delete
  3. Happy New Year! I plan to continue learning new skills this year. I've been working on my conversational french daily (will probably see the french half of my family this year), and I am learning to code. Oh, and signed up to run Color Me Rad on my birthday. Kite flying is so much fun! I have a beautiful kite that I rarely take out, need to do that more often.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

Culture

Instagram

Subscribe