Our Blue Door

January 29, 2014


As soon as I saw our new house, I knew I wanted to paint the front door. The front of the house is pretty neutral, with grey-blue siding and black shutters, and I thought a pop of color at the door would be a little more visually interesting than the plain white door that was there.

Bright yellow was the main contender early on but after thinking about it, I decided a solid wall of yellow might get a little tiring to see day in and day out, especially when the door was open into our living room. After deliberating over colors for months I finally snapped and bought a quart of the first swatch at the store that I liked. It happened to be Martha Stewart's Wrought Iron, a sleek dark navy with just a touch of cobalt in it when the light hits it.


It's not a huge contrast to our black shutters but I like that you can see it's definitely blue. I think the dark-colored door makes the front of the house look a little more pulled together. Now I'm searching for the perfect mailbox to set off our new door and thinking seriously about what I'm going to do to that awning come spring...

What color is your front door? Black or white, or did you choose something else?

You Might Also Like

7 comments

  1. Oh I love it. What a pretty choice. Ours is black but I don't love it. I dream of replacing it with a beautiful wood stained door.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it! One of the houses we looked at when we were hunting had a BEAUTIFUL arched wood-stained door. It was almost enough to make me overlook the fact that it was about 800 square feet too small.

      Delete
  2. Driving through town this week, we started noticing people's front doors for the first time. So many around here have interesting colored doors! Purple, blue, red, green, pink ... there was even one turquoise one we all squealed over. I suspect we'll be making more "door drives" in the future, seeing what interesting ones we can spy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love looking at pinboards of beautiful doors on Pinterest! I'm trying to convince my aunt to do a purple door but so far she's not into it...I will prevail.

      Delete
    2. PS: I really do think having a bold door is becoming a thing and I'm so glad it's catching on!

      Delete
  3. Pretty door! Mine is green, I didn't choose it, but I like it just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My door is red; however, I want to paint it blue. I love your door. I'll have to check out the Martha Stewart colors. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

Culture

Instagram

Subscribe