Thrifted Thursday

January 15, 2014

This regular feature has suffered a little as I've tightened my purse strings -- both literally and figuratively. I'm trying to put away more than I spend, and only bring things I'm sure will be beautiful or useful or both into our new home (having to pack and move a ton of junk will do this to you. It's still fresh in my mind). So I haven't been shopping much recently, except for others, for the holidays. I did, however, poke into two new (to me) thrift stores in the past few weeks and couldn't resist bringing home a few odds and ends that I'm eager to show off.

The first shop we hit was Best Thrift, on Military Highway in Norfolk. It opened in October and to fully explore every nook and cranny of this huge former department store building would probably take me until next October.

I found these hand-made Chinese pants for Anne in the toddler boy's section. They're not in the world's most pristine condition but our playgroup is planning a big Chinese New Year party and for 89 cents, I figured they'd at least get one wear. I love the double row of piping on the pant leg.

In the book section, I found a stack of kids' books for a quarter apiece, and this old vintage Halloween book. I love the old-fashioned, two-color drawings.




One of my fave things about thrift stores are the giant grab-bags of craft supplies. This one had pom-poms, pipe cleaners, foam stickers, and wooden letters, my favorite yet.

What's best at Best? The kids book section, housewares (a lot of Pampered Chef stuff the day we went including a stoneware dutch oven), toys (Molly found a couple of brand new Ninjago sets for pennies on the dollar), and kid and baby clothes. There wasn't much furniture, but what they had looked good -- everything in the store was clean and in almost startlingly good condition.

The second place I explored (with my two favorite thrifters, Molly and T.) was the Habitat for Humanity store on Tidewater Drive, also in Norfolk. I went looking for some home reno odds and ends and was surprised -- I had no idea they also did the traditional thrift store fare, I thought it was all building supplies.



I found these burlap bags and tinier cloth drawstring ones hanging out on a random shelf. The burlaps were pricier than I would have thought (50 cents a pop!) but the little ones were about a million for $2.00 so I think it evens out? I'm not really sure what I'll use the burlap for (maybe a pennant banner, something like this?) but I've already got visions of next year's advent calendar using the small ones.



These IKEA Vivian drapes will replace the ones in our bedroom that are looking a little sad (I'm convinced the Vivian drapes are pretty much disposable, not meant to be washed or even touched much. But they sure are pretty.) They were full price but brand new and saved us a long trip up I-95. James, hopefully, when he saw them: "Did they have anything else on your list?"



The big surprise at Habitat for Humanity was the bins and rolls of fabric way in the back. I never would have thought to look for fabric but boy, was there a lot of it. Molly walked away with two full rolls of upholstery fabric for something like $10. I found a couple of yards of this chambray with eyelet embroidery, which I'll probably use to make a dress for Anne.



Another big score was this bamboo Levelor blind for $5.00. Brand new they retail for $50. That's a 90% discount! J. and I hung it up in our kitchen, which needs a LOT of work, still, and already the place looks more finished. I'm going to be on the lookout for one for our breakfast room.

And last but not least...a cookbook. I live for these cookbooks -- you know, the kind that were put together by PTAs and Junior Leagues thirty years or so ago? This one was made to raise money for the Ponchatoula High School band and features some amazing Cajun and Creole recipes and also this one for Sad Cake (isn't that an oxymoron?)



Things to look for at Habitat for Humanity? FABRIC, doors, furniture, books (a great selection of random titles for the latter) and leftover paint samples in every color you could think of, perfect for craft projects.

What thrifted treasures have you brought home recently?

You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. I love your bamboo blinds. Those are so pricey new. Sweet score.

    I wanted one for my kitchen but I have so much steel (with the appliances) and white (with the icky brick we painted white) that it didn't quite work. But I love it in your kitchen with the brown counters and backsplash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so excited to find them! Definitely a great score.

      Maybe you could do the white slatted wood blinds with that color scheme? I love stainless and white together, such a clean look.

      Delete
  2. Great finds! I especially love the Chinese PJ pants.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those blinds are PERFECT!! Excellent treasure hunting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic finds! I'll have to check both of these out. I don't find the Kempsville Habitat so good, I need to check out the others. I would use those tiny bags to strain loose tea and then probably throw the whole thing on the compost pile. Craft supply grab bags are great, aren't they? My 4 y/o's eyes light up whenever I bring those home.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images

Culture

Instagram

Subscribe